Monday – Friday, 8:15 am = 4:45 pm
The 45-A District Court has jurisdiction
in general civil litigation matters up to $25,000 and in small claims matters of $3,000 or less. The court also hears cases involving garnishment proceedings, evictions, land contract disputes and mortgage foreclosures.
Arraignments and preliminary exams for felony cases are heard in the 45-A District Court, as are bench trials, jury trials, and sentencing on all misdemeanor cases. The court also sets bonds and issues search warrants in criminal matters.
Berkley’s City Attorney holds an important department role providing assistance in labor relations, arbitration matters and risk management, as well as providing legal advice and preparation and certification of contracts, bonds and other documents.
Meet Your City Attorney
Dale A. Schneider graduated from Michigan State University in 1987 and Thomas M. Cooley Law School in 1991. Dale has been City Attorney for the City of Berkley since 2002.
Prior to this role, Dale was the Assistant City Attorney for the City of Berkley from 1995 to 2002, City of Ferndale from 1991 to 1993 and the City of Southfield in 2003. He has also served the City of Clawson as Assistant City Attorney from 1997 to 2001 and from 2002 to the present.
Dale has practiced in the area of Employment and Labor, Personal Injury, Real Estate, Appellate Work, Contracts and Workers Compensation.
The City Attorney for the City of Berkley responsibilities include:
- Preparing for and attending bi-monthly City Council Meetings.
- Consulting with the City Council or Manager at their request.
- Preparing or officially passing upon all contracts, bonds and other instruments in writing, and certifying before execution as to their legality and correctness of form.
- Preparing legal opinions on issues as they arise.
- Assisting in labor relations, grievance arbitration matters and risk management affairs.
- Giving legal advice in sale of City property, street and alley vacations, easements, lot splits and special assessments, District Court prosecutions, Write complaints.
- Filing with the District and Circuit Courts to enforce zoning and code ordinances, Ordinance and Resolution preparations.
Traffic Violations in the 45A District Court
All traffic cases violations (civil infractions and traffic misdemeanors) occurring in the City of Berkley are heard in the 45-A District Court.